Sunday, March 24, 2013

50+ mile week

Just a quick word. I was able to get out and run around Turkey Mountain this morning for about an hour and 1/2. Not sure how much distance I covered, but I know that I am well over the 50+ mile range for the week, which for me is a first.

The Midnight Madness 50 mile run is coming up at the end of June (http://www.tatur.org/Midnight50/index.html). I won't be a participant, but I will probably go out to volunteer or something like that. So those folks run in under 15 hours what I did in 7 days. Actually, the top place finisher did it in 7:25 last year. I'm sure some folks have done it faster. For me, I'd like to do this event next year, but I'll have to put in the hours of training and a bunch of longer runs to get me to where I can do my thing and not injure/cripple myself in the process. I hold a vision in my head of participating in a 100 mile event some day, but that would have to be off in the more distant future. Currently, the longest that I have run is for about 5 hours, I would have to be able to run/walk for @30 - 40 hours, depending on the course and my level of fitness and training. Yeah, that's still a ways off.

Tomorrow is a rest day and then well see about what Tuesday looks like for runs into work. I will be oncall next week, so I'll have to add a laptop and BlackBerry to my pack. Usually my pack (work clothes, lunch, towel, etc....) is in the #15 - #18 range, with the laptop it will push it close to #25. I don't know if I'll be able to do the long run route, but I should be able to get in the regular distance.  We'll see how this unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment