Thursday, March 14, 2013

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I have an idea for a 50K adventure run here in the heart of Tulsa. The course layout can be seen here: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5840666 .

It would involve paved trails, a riverbed and off road/single-track running. Anywho, the thing that makes this a bit unusual is the fact that it would utilize the Arkansas riverbed for about 24K of the total 50K distance. If anyone happens to know if this is possible, from a legal/permitting perspective, please leave a comment.

In my mind I'm trying to imagine what the ideal footwear would be for such an event. It would have to be something that could take you from the road to the sand to the dusty trail and back again. Still not certain.I think that the best shoe would not collect sand, would drain quickly after getting wet and not hold onto mud. There is also the barefoot option, which is actually a possibility. 

There still are a million things left to actually think about, but I wanted to get them out on the Interwebs to start flushing out the details. In the weeks to come, I'll probably run this to see how doable a thing it is, rest stop placements, etc.... So if you see some dude out running in the middle of the river, it's most likely me, trying to work on the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment