Sunday, April 28, 2013

Week of 4/22 - 4/28

Nothing too fantastic happened running-wise this week. I put in @ 5+ miles on Wed. On Thursday, I ran to work, ran to the Guthrie Green Bootcamp, ran after the bootcamp, then ran home. In total @13 miles for the day. I ran on Saturday @ 5+ miles and then on Sunday, I followed up with @ 12 (mix of road and trail).

I did break down and buy a pair of shoes. Saucony Adapt xt-600. They were $30 at Marshalls. I have not run in them yet. They are designed as trail shoes, so I'm not sure if I'll to road miles in them, but I did do alot of trail miles in my previous Addidas and they were made for roads.

As far as how my body is feeling, I'd give this week a C- rating. Thursday I felt kinda junky with pain in my hips and feet. Today (Sunday) my left knee started to hurt at the beginning of my run and my left heel started to feel kinda numb later in the run. I may have to rethink mixing trail and road running in the same run. So right now, I'm feeling some soreness in my left heel. Nothing terrible, but it is an indication of doing too much.  Thus, I will rationalize this by taking a break tomorrow and giving my feet a rest. I am contemplating not running until Thursday and supplementing with some cross-training. I feel like I'm neglecting some other areas of my health that could use some attention. In all likelihood, my foot will feel passable tomorrow and I'll be back on the trail Tues. for the Night Crawlers run. If I do that, I'll make sure to bring water.

What I would like to have the discipline for is to rest for an entire week. I think I can do that. I just need to make it happen. It needs to make sense in my mind first. That if I take the time off, that my running will get better and stronger as a result. It's a good plan, it's just sticking to it and not straying where the problem arises. But writing this out now kinda helps.

In the same breath as that thought, I work on the idea of 20 miles in 3 hours. Today I ran 7 miles in 1 hour and I think that I can maintain that pace for a longer duration. The course that I am thinking of is from my house to Hunter Park and back. It is the same course that I ran 20 miles barefoot on. I did that in 4 hours, but I had adopted a run 45/walk 15 strategy for that run. For the next one, I'd just run the whole way. I think that I can do it. It will give me an idea of what my marathon time would be like. Once I get this done, I'll start  to look at a slightly longer course and plan out the full marathon distance. I'll give voice to my ambitions here and say that I would like to complete a sub-four hour marathon. That is what I am training for at least, but it is a long way off. If I can get a handle on my heels and condition myself for the distance, I think that sub-four is a doable goal. Right now I'm still in the long slow distance portion of my training.

There are only 209 days until the Route 66 Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment